Slide DB is a Python + Flask web app, used to display extremely high-resolution histology slides and quiz anatomical pathology students.
This is a complex project that involved many steps:
- Digitising the histology slides using an Olympus VS120 virtual microscope.
- Converting the huge digitised slides from their proprietary Olympus .vsi file format into the more open BigTIFF file format. (Using Bio-Formats command line tools.)
- Converting the BigTIFF files into image pyramids.
- Coding the web app, using the Flask framework, Bootstrap and MySQL.
- Connecting the app to SendGrid, so that students get emailed when their comments are moderated by the professor.
- Deployment via DigitalOcean, which included setting up an Ubuntu droplet and a SSL certificate from Let's Encrypt.
A mammoth learning experience.